How to Magnify your Hunt in 2021

(Rifle Hunting in 2020)
Welcome back! I wanted to squeak one more blog in before the end of this year...and what a year it was. On my final blog for 2020, I will focus on my riflescopes. This may or may not interest you, but I feel it is necessary to help others who send me quite a few DM's regarding optics during hunting season. It also is perfect timing for those thinking about upgrading their equipment in 2021. 

First off, there are many different optics out there. I am not going to boast about which brand is better than others and start an argument, I simply want to explain my setup and why I love it. So to begin I have switched all my optics to Bushnell products. Why? 

1.  I find that they are making tremendous leaps of improvement with each new launch. 

2. Their customer service is excellent. 

3. Great value for your dollar.

While I take great pride in finding an awesome deal, and I love a company which provides excellent customer service, I wanted to focus on the first bullet point. 

There are a number of Bushnell scopes on the market for a variety of shooting disciplines. I want to disclose that the only competitive shooting I do is trap, and not rifle. I use the Forge Series and the scope I have on my 6.5 Creedmoor is the 4.5-27 x 50 MOA FFP. 

I know what you are thinking, so Sallie that number sounds great, but what does it actually mean? So breaking it down and starting in the middle, the 27 identifies the magnification power, in this case 27x the magnification of what you traditionally see with your eye. The 4.5 in front of the 27 means that this is a variable magnification, so you can actually magnify from 4.5-27x power. Finally, the 50 represents the diameter (in mm because who cares about the Imperial system?) of the objective lens.  

As far as MOA that means "Minute of Angle" and stands as a unit of measurement. I will not get into this since I think that MOA vs. MIL's deserves its own blog. The FFP stands for "First Focal Plane" and has the reticle positioned toward the turrets of the riflescope, after the magnification system. If you would like to learn more about the difference between First Focal Plan and Second Focal Plane it might warrant another blog, or you can find videos on YouTube to explain this in detail. 

(Rifle Hunting in 2019)
In the Forge series this scope has with the highest level of magnification. I enjoy this since we live where few trees exist and shots under 200 yards are an anomaly. Getting a focused and clear shot is key to long range hunting. Some other awesome features are:

1. An easy to move throw hammer for zooming in and out.  

2. Side focus Parallax for quickly focusing on objects as you make adjustments in magnification. 

3. IPX7 waterproof construction for all those snowy/foggy/rainy days. 

4. Comes with a magnetic closing box and sunshade and scope caps so you do not need to purchase these separately. 

5. Barrier protection/lens coating using EXO technology.

6. Price of $849.99 makes it more affordable than comparable scopes on the market. 

This list in not all inclusive. If you would like to check out additional features I will include the link here

As I start to think about the 2021 hunting season in the next few months I want to update/upgrade my equipment. Bushnell released new scopes in the Forge line during 2020 seen here. I have never used a German reticle No. 4, but that is something I would be interested in experiencing and sharing with all of you.  

Until next year, have a Happy New Year and I hope that 2021 is a great one! 

(My 2019 East River Rifle Deer)

(My 2020 East River Rifle Deer)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everything Venison Chili

RIACT Like Never Before

Weekend Antelope Roast