In 2016 I decided to sign up for my first triathlon. This is how triathlon goes..."so you were a college swimmer and like to run? Better get a bike and start doing tris." That is great and all but I can buy a suit on sale for $30, running shoes for $150, but a bike well that will cost you $5,000. 

I do not have a lot of insight to offer newcomers but what I suggest is that you borrow a bike for a year or two and do a few triathlons first. If it is something that you want to get into then consider purchasing a new/used tri bike. This is exactly what I did in 2016-2018. In 2018 I finally pulled the trigger and bought a Trek Speed Concept aka The Teal Wheel. 

Going into my first tri in 2016 I had no idea what to expect. I swam way too fast and transitioned exceptionally slow. I put shorts on in T1 and didn't wear bike shoes. Overall I finished 5th on a bike that had a hard time shifting. I didn't know the difference between the big and small ring of a bike. To be honest my cycling experience stemmed from late nights in Vermilion home from one of the many local drinking establishments sometimes with another jolly college passenger on the back. 

I decided to do the same Farm Island tri in 2017. That time I took the swim out much slower and ended up adding a few minutes, but cut 3 minutes off the bike. It was a windy day and a bit cooler. That day I also got 5th overall woman and first in my age group. 

In 2018 I thought it might be fun to do a triathlon out of Pierre and did my first event at the Watertown race around Lake Kampeska. The swim was a bit odd along shore and the bike was a scenic stroll around the lake. I ended up following someone who also followed someone in bike club and went down an area I could not shift and get out of. So I fell off the bike and skinned my knee. Overall I finished 5th and had a lot of fun competing. 

Over the next two years I made subtle improvements in my racing. I bought a new bike, helmet, speed laces (racing shoelaces) and a speed suit so I do not have to put shorts on. My next step would be a nice set of race wheels. Any maybe road bike at some point. 

The greatest part about triathlon in South Dakota is all the amazing people. Everyone is so encouraging even though we all race against one another. I feel like I can talk to anyone at a race and everyone is so nice. I have yet to meet one triathlete I did not like...I hope to keep it that way! 

                                    Looking strong on the run. This was from my second tri in Pierre. 

                My first race out of town in Watertown in 2018. This was after I fell off the bike! 

My very first triathlon ever! Notice the waterbottle underneath, no tri shoes, holding my watch instead of wearing it, regular swim suit. At least I was in the big ring! 

The tri Watertown 2020. I finished 4th overall woman and 3rd in the bike. My bike is getting stronger and stronger. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RIACT Like Never Before

Everything Venison Chili

Weekend Antelope Roast